There are lots of kuehs out there but I only have a few favourites such as ondeh ondeh, kueh ko swee (steamed rice pudding) and kueh sarang semut (ants nest cake). The first time I tried kueh sarang semut was at a Geylang Serai market and it was yummy ! I love its unusual look which looks like a cross section of an ant's nest as well as its moist, spongy texture. It has a sweet yet slightly burnt taste which is absolutely delicious. Most of all, it is all so simple to make. Always thought it had gula melaka as a main ingredient but turned out that it was caramelised sugar.
Here 's the receipe
250g of sugar
230g of water
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
90g condensed milk
1. Cook sugar over low heat till brown. Then add in the water, ensuring that all sugar dissolves.
2. Beat butter and milk rapidly till creamy
3. Beat egg till it foams, add into butter mixture gradually and mix well.
4. Add in flour and beat gently.
5. Pour in sugar syrup and mix well.
6. Pour batter into a baking tin and bake till skewer comes out clean (varies with different ovens)
Post a Comment